Palace, Political Party and Power: A Story of the Socio-Political Development of Malay Kingship
Author: Kobkua Suwannathat-Pian
Publisher: NUS Press
Palace, Political Party and Power: A Story of the Socio-Political Development of Malay Kingship traces the history of Malay rulers in the Malay Peninsula from the late colonial period to the first decade of the 21st century. The rulers went through a period of decline under colonial rule and during the Japanese Occupation, but the Occupation brought a heightened sense of Malay identity, and rulers were central to efforts to redefine Malayness after the war. However, when Malaysia achieved independence in 1957, they were compelled to embrace Westminster-style constitutional monarchy and their role became largely symbolic. Parliament and the executive branch handled the affairs of the nation, and UMNO - the United Malays National Organization - positioned itself as the "official" voice of the Malays.
The postwar settlement underwent a significant change after the shocking outcome of the March 2008 General Election weakened UMNO's hold on power. The Malay Rulers responded by "reinventing" themselves as active players in the affairs of the nation and have recovered some of their traditional status. Socio-political developments since the departure of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad have worked in favor of a continued royal resurgence, and the rulers have become an increasingly vocal element in national politics.
"The book is here recommended as good reading, especially for politicians, scholars and students in the higher education institutions." - Nazirah Lee
"She demonstrates real courage in writing about Malay monarchy and UMNO in a true academic fashion; she proves herself objective in the context of a public university in Malaysia." - Greg Lopez
"A welcome addition...Suwannathat-Pian has succeeded in producing a readable and wide-ranging account of Malay monarchy from the origins of colonial control, through the period of British rule, to the era of independence." - Simon C Smith
1) 'Sign in' di terlebih dahulu. Klik di sini.
2) Pilih buku-buku pilihan dengan klik 'Add to Cart'
3) Klik 'Checkout' untuk meneruskan pembelian.
4) Lengkapkan maklumat & alamat penghantaran.
5) Pilih kaedah penghantaran & bayaran yang sesuai.
6) Klik "Submit My Order".
Sekiranya ada kesulitan untuk membeli secara online di website, mohon hubungi kami dengan cara berikut:
Klik butang di atas untuk berkomunikasi dengan kami.
Kami menggunakan perkhidmatan J&T Express untuk penghantaran ke seluruh negara.
Tempoh masa penghantaran adalah 2 - 7 hari bekerja.
1. Pemprosesan & penghantaran pesanan dibuat pada hari Isnin sehingga Sabtu.
2. Sekiranya syarikat kurier cuti, pesanan tetap akan diproses, tetapi hanya akan dihantar apabila syarikat kurier mula beroperasi.
3. Nombor pengesanan (tracking number) akan dihantar terus ke email anda.
4. Kami akan maklumkan lebih awal jika ada perubahan waktu operasi semasa musim perayaan atau lain-lain.