Slavery and Islam - Softcover
Author: Jonathan A.C. Brown
Publisher: One World Academic
ISBN : 9781786078391
What happens when authorities you venerate condone something you know is wrong?
Every major religion and philosophy once condoned or approved of slavery, but in modern times nothing is seen as more evil. Americans confront this crisis of authority when they erect statues of Founding Fathers who slept with their slaves. And Muslims faced it when ISIS revived sex-slavery, justifying it with verses from the Quran and the practice of Muhammad.
Exploring the moral and ultimately theological problem of slavery, Jonathan A.C. Brown traces how the Christian, Jewish and Islamic traditions have tried to reconcile modern moral certainties with the infallibility of God's message. He lays out how Islam viewed slavery in theory, and the reality of how it was practiced across Islamic civilization. Finally, Brown carefully examines arguments put forward by Muslims for the abolition of slavery.
Jonathan A.C. Brown is Associate Professor of Islamic Studies and the Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilization in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. His previous books include Misquoting Muhammad and Hadith: Muhammad's Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World, both of which are published by Oneworld. He lives in Virginia.
"Slavery & Islam hints at some of the great questions that are still outstanding in this field"
"For any system of belief that vests ultimate authority in the past, slavery is a big moral problem… For several reasons, this dilemma is an acute one for Muslims, as emerges in [this] scholarly but digestible new book."
"This insightful, courageous and comprehensively argued book is bound to constitute a new beginning. It is certain to be as widely debated as it is widely read. And we will all be all the better for it."
"A prodigiously researched, provocatively argued, learned and multi-faceted treatment of a difficult and complex problem. One might not agree with all of Brown's conclusions, but the book will be a must-read for students and scholars of historical and contemporary Islam, as well as for anyone interested in slavery and its relationship to religion."
- Bernard K. Freamon, Professor of Law Emeritus, Seton Hall University School of Law
1) 'Sign in' di terlebih dahulu. Klik di sini.
2) Pilih buku-buku pilihan dengan klik 'Add to Cart'
3) Klik 'Checkout' untuk meneruskan pembelian.
4) Lengkapkan maklumat & alamat penghantaran.
5) Pilih kaedah penghantaran & bayaran yang sesuai.
6) Klik "Submit My Order".
Sekiranya ada kesulitan untuk membeli secara online di website, mohon hubungi kami dengan cara berikut:
Klik butang di atas untuk berkomunikasi dengan kami.
Kami menggunakan perkhidmatan J&T Express untuk penghantaran ke seluruh negara.
Tempoh masa penghantaran adalah 2 - 7 hari bekerja.
1. Pemprosesan & penghantaran pesanan dibuat pada hari Isnin sehingga Sabtu.
2. Sekiranya syarikat kurier cuti, pesanan tetap akan diproses, tetapi hanya akan dihantar apabila syarikat kurier mula beroperasi.
3. Nombor pengesanan (tracking number) akan dihantar terus ke email anda.
4. Kami akan maklumkan lebih awal jika ada perubahan waktu operasi semasa musim perayaan atau lain-lain.